Vegan Mac and Cheese
Recipe: Serves 6
1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews
2 cups of roasted pumpkin
300g of dry pasta
2 cups unsweetened Absolute Almond Mylk
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Vegan parmesan (optional)
You can prepare steps 1-2 in advance.
- Place cashews into a bowl and covered with water. Leave for at least 2 hours, ideally overnight.
- Roughly chop pumpkin, line on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 40 minutes at 180 degrees until pumpkin is lovely and soft. Set aside to cool.
Once your cashews and pumpkin are ready, you are good to go to make the Mac and Cheese:
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and cook pasta according to the instructions - this is usually around 8 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the roasted pumpkin, cashews, Absolute Almond Mylk, nutritional yeast and Dijon mustard into a blender and blitz until well combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cayenne pepper if you’d like a little spice.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain the water and mix the pumpkin sauce into it. On a low temperature let this simmer for a few minutes until it’s warmed through.
- Serve with vegan parmesan.