Potato and Kumara bake
Recipe: Serves 6
3 x large potatoes, washed peeled and very finely sliced
1 x large kumara, washed peeled and very finely sliced
Vegan parmesan or vegan cheddar cheese
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
2 x cups of Nutty Oat Mylk
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
Sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and then reduce heat to medium.
- Peel the potatoes and kumara and slice them both into very thinly into coins. Then throw them into the pot and let them cook for 8 minutes, they will be soft but not fully cooked yet.
- Drain the water and add cold water to cool the potato and kumara coins. Drain again.
- Throw them in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Give your skillet a good covering with olive oil and arrange the slices in a circle formation in your skillet, stacking one layer on top of the previous until the skillet is ¾ full.
Now prepare your white sauce. Add the oil to a pot on the stove and heat it at medium to high heat. As the oil heats, add the flour and stir or whisk vigorously. Slowly stir in your Nutty Oat Milk. Continue to stir and whisk, it will gradually thicken. Remove from the heat and add lemon juice, nutritional yeast and garlic powder. Add salt and pepper to taste and a sprinkle of paprika if you like a little bite.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and place the skillet in the oven to bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil from the dish and sprinkle with vegan (or regular) cheddar cheese. Bake for a further 20 minutes, the cheese sauce will be bubbling and the top layer will be lovely and golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
We LOVE seeing your creations! If you have made this yourself, please tag us on Instagram @mylk.made so we can share it with our online community.